Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck Surgery in PCMC
Tummy tuck is a procedure to remove the excess sagging / loose skin and fat from the midriff area and give you a flat abdomen. This is usually accompanied by liposuction of the anterior abdomen as well as the back and the “love handle” region.
- Post pregnancy the skin over the anterior abdomen is stretched and loose. This condition can be effectively treated by a tummy tuck
- Post massive weight loss the skin on the anterior abdominal wall may be hanging down like an apron causing discomfort and hygiene issues. This also can be effectively treated by a tummy tuck
Though this procedure is commonly done in females it is also indicated in men with loose skin on the abdomen.
What to expect?
The surgeon will give a cut in the lower abdomen to reflect the skin. The underlying muscles are tightened to give a slim look. Following this the skin is redraped to achieve a flat look.
Care is taken to hide the scar in the bikini line and the scar quality achieved is usually very good to leave very few tell tale signs of a previous surgery. Additional shaping of the midriff is achieved by liposuction so that the fat resistant to diet and exercise is lost at the end of the procedure. Losing weight is not the aim of the surgery but the skin and fat removed from the procedure may weigh between 2 to 4 kilos depending on how much excess you had pre-operatively.
Post Operative Care
- You cannot lift heavy weight for a period of 6 weeks after surgery
- Cardio training can start after 6 weeks but weight training can commence 3 months after the surgery
It is a safe surgery with some minimal risks:
- Asymmetry of the scar
- Delayed Wound Healing (Rare)
- Infection (Rare)
The Procedure may not be ideal for you if:
- You are grossly overweight, You smoke regularly
- Frequent Fluctuations in your weight
- Unrealistic expectations, Medical co-morbidities
- If you are planning a pregnancy in a year of having the surgery
- Usually the results are long lasting. The aim is to give a well toned thinner abdomen. Some sagging is expected with increasing age
- The results are best maintained by maintaining a stable weight and healthy lifestyle